Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Blog 1: Southeast Asian Rain Forest Climate

Today I have arrived in Malaysia, a Southeast Asian country surrounded by jungles. This is the first rainforest I will be visiting in this travel blog. For this post, I will describe what a rainforest is and describe their usual climates, temperatures, precipitation, etc.

I had a decent time in Malaysia. It was much more wet and hot than I thought. One time it rained nonstop for two days straight. I wondered why the climate was like this so I did a little research and ended up with the following facts.

A tropical rainforest (also known as a jungle) is a tropical wet climate zone usually seen approximately 12 degrees north and south of the Earth's Equator, where I am now.

Due to being very close to the Equator, it is hot all year long, summer and winter alike. The average temperature in a tropical rainforest is 24 - 27 degrees Celsius (75.2 - 80.6 degrees Fahrenheit).

As the name implies, tropical rainforests are very rainy all year long, no matter what season it is. They have an average a precipitation of 200-1000 cm of rain per year.

So all in all, I had a decent trip. Even though I did not do much in the jungle, I did learn a little bit more interesting facts about the climate of the tropical rainforest.

Next stop, the African rain forest!



This is a climate graph, or a climatograph. It shows the temperature and precipitation a biome has. Since I stayed in Penang, Malaysia, I used this.




This is a picture of the Malaysian Rainforest

1 comment: